Transmission Operations Engineer $90,000 - $110,000
444 South 16th Street Mall Omaha, NE 68102 US
$90,000 - $110,000
Remote in Omaha, NE
Transmission Operations provides technical consulting to the Transmission Operations Department through engineering analysis. Ensure the integrity, reliability, and safe operation of The Transmission System and effective utilization of transmission capacity. Ensure compliance with applicable NERC Operating Reliability Standards. Analyze and track Transmission outage data. Conduct planned outage analysis, scheduling, and coordination and prepare operational guides to address constrained electric facilities. Work with internal and external customers in a technical advisory capacity. The incumbent also, provides planning, engineering, and construction departments with expert operations technical advice. Work with Key Account Executives, Field Supervisors and Corporate Communications to provide outstanding customer service. Participate on local and regional operations committees when applicable
- Prepare operating guides for constrained Transmission facilities and work with the Reliability Coordinator and T&D System Planning to ensure reliable operations. Work with T&D System Planning to recommend operating criteria, system improvement projects, and provide capital budgeting support.
- Provide technical support for real time Transmission operations including: short term outage analysis, security/contingency analyses, power flows, operating guides, transmission circuit loading, and load balance/shifts recommendations. Perform analysis to determine EMS alarms criteria, accuracy and response.
- Ensure compliance with NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation) Reliability Standards and SPP operating protocols/criteria. Provide leadership in procedure writing and audit preparations.
- Utilize and develop a thorough knowledge of the analytical operating tools for power system, voltage, loading, and outage analysis. Software tools include, TOA, PSSE, SynerGEE, OMS, EMS, CIS, etc... Team with EMS, IT, and other groups in the development of software tools, computer models, and study data.
- Collaborate with other work groups to implement in new technologies, including TOA, EMS Network Applications (state estimator, security analysis, power flow, etc.), and Training Simulator scenarios.
- Perform outage scheduling and coordination including coordinating transmission system plans with regional entities and adjacent Transmission Operators to provide for integrated, reliable regional plans in a systematic manner. Enter and update transmission outages in the regional scheduling system (SPP – CROW).
- As assigned, participate in local and regional operational committees to remain abreast of all factors contributing to effective Transmission Operations and to allow for District influence in such matters.
- Track, analyze, and correct transmission outage data for reporting, inquiry response, and to make process recommendations to reduce customer outage frequency and duration. Submit applicable BES outages to NERC TADS per the TADS reporting requirements.
- Participate in planning and scheduling of switching functions to ensure the integrity and safe operation of the Transmission System.
- Help ensure timely and accurate maintenance of department electronic and paper records.
- Maintain 24-hour availability for technical and professional assistance, storm restoration, and emergency response. When assigned, participate in 24x7 after hour’s duty supervisor rotation to direct remedial actions.
- Support operational investigation of switching incidents, Hold Order violations, or near misses.
1. Safety: Promotes and adheres with the District’s Safety Manual. Performs all work in the safest manner and stops work if safety related issues exist to people, equipment and plant/department. Analyze, report, and recommend solutions for all safety concerns to appropriate leadership.
2. Compliance: Understands, maintains knowledge, and complies with all policies, procedures, and applicable Federal and State laws and regulations.
3. Communication: Promptly review and apply Corporate, Business Unit, departmental and team specific communications. Design, deliver and reinforce effective communications as required by role.
4. Continuous Improvement: Research and identify improvement opportunities related to work practices, procedures, documentation, tools or equipment. Applies improved work methods in the execution of work.
5. Fiscal Accountability: Adheres to all budget and expense policies and procedures. Provide input to Manager on budget design as necessary. Effectively cares for all corporate property, tools and equipment in order to minimize cost.
6. Cross Functional Working Relationships (CFWR): Identify opportunities to work collaboratively with peers and other work groups, exhibit professional behavior, and promote positive working relationships.
7. Work Assignment: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time. Minimum Qualifications:
- Possess an ABET accredited Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Five years of equivalent engineering work experience. Master's degree may be considered for up to two years of experience
- Have the ability to perform complex engineering tasks and perform intricate studies
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of electrical engineering or electrical power engineering.
- Excellent analytical, computer, and written/oral communication skills.
- NERC Operator Certification is required within one year of employment.
- Manage a 24/7 on-call rotating shift in support of the Transmission System Operator
- Familiarity with Electric Utility Operations, Planning, Design, and Construction Practices
- Ability to obtain Professional Engineer License is preferred
- An MSEE is desirable